Thursday, March 24, 2011

How Do I Know God is Real, You Ask?

Bible Study tonight was full of great questions.  How do you know God is real?  Are God and Satan equals?  Do you have to be baptized to go to heaven?  How do we know we should believe the Bible?

As a Christian, questions like these simultaneously make you excited and stiffle the urge to groan aloud.  It's hard to be peppered with all the "hard" questions and feel so inadequate in the face of such weighty inquiries.  But most of the time when I hear these questions I also hear the gentle knocking of Christ on the heart's of people He is beckonning to Himself. 

Sitting around our Bible Study circle tonight were young adults who love the Lord, some who don't, some come from a history of life in the street, some are still dabbling in it.  But each of us were unified through a desire to know something about the Lord.  Some asked questions, others did their best to answer and I sat back thrilled at the sight of a community of young people working to lead one another into a better understanding of the Lord.

Sometimes these questions come from the most unlikely of askers, and it is then that I know the Lord is up to something.  There is no way this person would ask this question without spiritual prompting, I think to myself.  At times like this I remember Ecclesiases 3:11, which says "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

How do I know God is real, you ask?  I know He is real because we are born with eternal questions in our heart and if we stop to contemplate reality we can't help but ask them.  I know because I see His hand constantly moving and shaping people and drawing them to Himself.  I know because I see young lives, that by all logical standards should be crushed and ruined and hopeless, unfolding before the Lord in His glory.  I know because there is no way to make sense of the world without God.
 
God is real and He is at work in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment